In the book "Taking God at His Word" Kevin DeYoung states, "For Jesus, Scripture is powerful, decisive, and authoritative because it is nothing less than the voice of God." Everything at First Baptist flows from this statement. It is in the Word of God that we come across the good news that Jesus Christ has come to the world to save us from ourselves - from our sin. This message is what we often refer to as the gospel. The gospel is what shapes our ministry - from corporate worship to preaching and even children's ministry. First Baptist Church is a community of people who gather together to worship God and live out the Great Commandment here in Kinston and throughout the world. We exist to know Christ and to make Him known. We do this by engaging our community with the gospel, connecting people to small groups, and equipping them to serve the Lord.
What You Will Find at FBC
- A loving and kind church
- Sunday School and Small groups for all ages
- Expository preaching
- Engaging worship
- A commitment to missions
- Family ministry
- A church that is centered on the gospel of Jesus Christ
Our Core Values
- Bible: the Bible is authoritative and sufficient in all areas of life and faith
- Missions: the joyful and obedient response to the Great Commission
- Unity: the willingness to put others first and to keep the mission of the church central to its practice
- Family: the God ordained institution for raising children and building healthy communities
- Corporate Worship: the act of singing songs that glorify God and edify the church
- Generosity: the willingness to give sacrificially to Christ's church because God gave generously to us in Christ
First Baptist Church is associated nationally with the Southern Baptist Convention and locally with the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina and the Neuse Baptist Association in Kinston.
We have adopted the following doctrinally statements as our official theological positions.
Baptist Faith and Message 2000
Nashville Statement on Biblical Sexuality